Looking for inspiration to give your home a bit of a revamp? If you’re not quite ready to go all in and redecorate your entire living space then why not consider a feature wall instead? Feature walls are ideal for those who prefer a minimal aesthetic, sticking to just one wall as a place to add color and texture. Read on to find out how to brighten up your home with a patterned feature wall, as well as our top tips on where to find interior design inspiration!
What is a feature wall?
A feature wall is a single wall in a room that is designed to stand out and draw attention to itself. It is typically painted or finished with a different colour, pattern, or material than the other walls in the room, and is often used as a focal point to highlight specific features or design elements of the space. The purpose of a feature wall is to create visual interest, define a specific area within a room, or add an accent to an otherwise neutral room. Feature walls can be created using a variety of materials, including paint, wallpaper, tiles, stone, or wood paneling, and are often incorporated into living rooms, bedrooms, or dining rooms to create a cozy and inviting atmosphere.
How to brighten up your home with a feature wall?
You might be surprised, as well as pleased to learn that you can use most materials to create a feature wall. From fabrics to stone, here are some popular materials and techniques used to create feature walls:
- Paint: A feature wall can be painted in a bold colour or with a patterned design to make it stand out.
- Wallpaper: Wallpaper is a popular choice for feature walls, offering a range of patterns and textures to choose from.
- Wood paneling: Wood paneling, either real or engineered, adds a warm and natural look to a room and can be used as a feature wall.
- Tiles: Tiles, whether ceramic, stone, or glass, can be used to create a feature wall with a unique pattern or texture.
- Stone: Stone or brick walls can be used to create a natural, rustic feel and can be left exposed or partially exposed for a modern look.
- Fabric: A feature wall can also be created using fabric, such as a tapestry or a large piece of artwork.
- Mirrors: Mirrored walls can be used to create a feature wall, adding light and visual interest to a room.
The choice of material will depend on the style and design of the room, as well as personal preference. Consider the type of atmosphere you want to create and how the feature wall will complement the existing design elements of the room.
How can I choose a feature wall that doesn’t go off trend too quickly?
We get it! The last thing you want is for your feature wall to go off-trend as soon as you’ve finished decorating and the paint has been left to dry. Here are our top tips to help choose a feature wall that won’t go off trend too quickly:
- Stick to neutral colors: Neutral colors such as white, beige, or gray are classic and timeless, and are less likely to go out of style.
- Opt for natural materials: Natural materials such as wood, stone, or brick have a timeless appeal and can create a warm, inviting atmosphere.
- Choose a simple pattern: Simple patterns, such as stripes or geometric shapes, are versatile and easy to coordinate with other design elements.
- Consider the architecture of the room: A feature wall that highlights the architectural details of the room, such as a fireplace or a large window, can draw attention to these elements and create a timeless look.
- Use texture: Textured walls, such as those created with a faux finish or raised panels, can add visual interest and depth without being too bold.
- Balance bold and neutral elements: If you want to make a bold statement, consider balancing it with neutral elements, such as neutral-colored furniture or soft lighting.
- Avoid trends that are too specific: Avoid feature walls that are too trendy or specific, such as those inspired by a particular movie or cultural movement, as these are likely to go out of style quickly.
Remember, a feature wall should complement the overall style of the room, and the choice of material should be based on both personal preference and the longevity of the design.
How big should a feature wall be?
The size of a feature wall can vary depending on the size of the room and the design goals. Here are some general guidelines:
- Accent wall: An accent wall typically covers one entire wall and is used to draw attention to a specific area of the room.
- Focal point wall: A focal point wall can be any size, but is typically larger than an accent wall and is used to create a central point of interest in the room.
- Partial wall: A partial feature wall can be any size, but is typically smaller than a full accent wall and is used to add a touch of color or texture to the room.
It’s important to consider the scale of the room when choosing the size of the feature wall. A smaller room may only need a partial wall to make a statement, while a larger room may benefit from a full accent wall or a focal point wall. Ultimately, the size of the feature wall should be based on personal preference and the desired impact in the room.
Feature walls can brighten up a room in several ways:
- Color: A feature wall painted in a light, bright color can reflect light and make a room feel more open and airy.
- Pattern: A feature wall with a bright, bold pattern can draw the eye and create a visual focal point in the room, making it feel more lively and dynamic.
- Light reflection: A feature wall made of reflective materials, such as mirrors or metallic tiles, can reflect light and brighten up a room.
- Natural light: A feature wall with large windows or skylights can bring in more natural light, making a room feel brighter and more spacious.
- Contrast: A feature wall that contrasts with the other walls in the room can create a sense of depth and dimension, making the room feel brighter and more visually interesting.
By creating a visual point of interest and adding light to a room, feature walls can help to brighten up a space and make it feel more inviting and lively.
Where can I find inspiration for feature walls?
Between the online and offline world, there are tonnes of excellent places to seek inspiration for feature wall ideas. Here are some of our favorite sources of inspiration for feature walls and interior design:
- Interior design magazines: Flip through interior design magazines for ideas and inspiration on creating feature walls.
- Home décor blogs: Check out popular home décor blogs for feature wall ideas and tutorials.
- Pinterest: Use Pinterest or Instagram to search for feature wall ideas and save the images that you like for future reference.
- Home renovation shows: Watch home renovation shows to see how feature walls are used in real-life projects.
- Art galleries: Visit art galleries to see how artists use color, texture, and patterns to create eye-catching walls.
- Nature: Take inspiration from nature and use natural materials, such as wood, stone, or greenery, to create a feature wall.
- Your favorite room: Look to your favorite room in your home for inspiration on what kind of feature wall you would like to create.
- Online resources: Check out websites that specialize in feature wall ideas and tutorials, such as Houzz or Elle Decor.
By exploring different sources of inspiration, you can get a sense of the many different ways that feature walls can be used to enhance a space and find the right approach for your home.