Looking to invest in a luxury pen? A good quality pen makes for a fantastic gift! They are timeless, quality made and something that you can keep forever. If you’re tempted to indulge in a decent pen but not sure whether they’re worth the money or what’s so special about high-end pens then read on to find out how to choose the right pen for you!
Some pens cost less than £1, whereas others can cost over £500. If you’ve ever wondered what makes expensive pens so special then you’re not alone. More expensive pens do tend to last longer, not to mention that they look luxurious. In some cases, you are just paying for the brand’s name or the appearance. However, if you are investing in a bespoke pen from a professional pen brand then you can guarantee better quality and a smoother writing experience. I love high quality pens! Not only do they look great but there is something about luxury writing tools that makes working so much more enjoyable! Investing in a good pen is similar to owning a piece of fine jewellery. You remember the moment you received it, it holds treasured memories and they’re also fantastic gifts or reminders of special milestones in your life or career.
So how do you choose the right pen for you? With so many styles, sizes and weights to pick from, the process of investing in a good pen can feel a little overwhelming. So here are my top tips on how to choose the right pen for you and your needs. Choosing the right pen depends on your needs and preferences. Here are a few factors to consider when selecting a pen:
- Writing tip: Pens come in different tip sizes, from fine to medium to bold. Choose a tip size that feels comfortable for you and suits the type of writing you’ll be doing.
- Ink type: Pens use different types of ink, such as ballpoint, gel, and fountain. Ballpoint pens have a smooth flow and are great for everyday use, while gel pens offer a more vibrant colour and fountain pens have a more traditional and elegant look.
- Comfortable grip: Look for pens with a comfortable grip to avoid hand fatigue when writing for long periods of time.
- Durability: Consider the durability of the pen, especially if you’ll be using it frequently. Look for pens made with high-quality materials that will withstand regular use.
- Refillable or disposable: Some pens are disposable and others are refillable. If you are planning to use the pen for a long time, choose a refillable one.
- Style: There are many different styles of pens to choose from, such as classic, modern, and trendy. Select one that fits your personal style.
- Brand: Some brands are known for their high quality pens such as Montblanc, Pelikan, Cross, Waterman, etc. If you are looking for a specific brand, research the brand to ensure that it meets your needs.
Why are some pens heavier than others?
Pens can vary in weight for a few different reasons.
- Materials: Some pens are made with heavier materials such as metal or wood, which can add weight to the pen.
- Size: Larger pens will typically be heavier than smaller pens, as they have more material.
- Refillable or disposable: Refillable pens will generally be heavier than disposable pens because they have more components, such as a removable ink cartridge or a converter.
- Design: Pens with decorative elements, such as engravings or inlays, may be heavier due to the added materials.
- Quality and durability: Heavier pens may be more durable and of higher quality, as they are usually made with better materials.
Is it worth investing in a high quality pen?
It depends on your personal preferences and priorities. High quality pens can be more expensive than basic pens, but they may also offer better writing performance, durability, and aesthetics. If you value the writing experience and are willing to spend more for a pen that meets your needs, then a high quality pen may be worth the investment for you. However, if you are looking for an affordable writing instrument and do not place a premium on the writing experience, then a basic pen may be a better choice. Ultimately, the decision to invest in a high quality pen is a personal one that depends on your specific needs and priorities.
Which is the best pen brand?
There are many well-regarded brands of pens, and the best one for you will depend on your specific needs and preferences. Some popular brands known for high-quality pens include:
- Montblanc: Known for luxury pens, which are often considered the best in the world.
- Parker: Known for their fountain pens and ballpoint pens, that are well-regarded by many.
- Waterman: Known for their fountain pens, which are considered to be of high quality.
- Pilot: Known for their pens that are widely available and considered to be of good quality.
- Lamy: Known for their pens that are considered to be of good quality and affordable.