Becoming a mommy blogger has emerged as an appealing option for new moms seeking a fulfilling work-from-home opportunity that allows them to balance their professional aspirations with the joys and responsibilities of raising their children. As technology continues to reshape the way we connect and share information, mommy blogging has become a thriving online community where mothers can share their experiences, advice, and insights. Read on to find out how to become a full-time mommy blogger, as well as how to incorporate just a small proportion of your new life as a parent into your existing blog.
The allure of mommy blogging lies in its flexibility. New moms can create their own schedules, write from the comfort of their homes, and work around their children’s needs. It offers a unique platform to express their creativity, connect with a like-minded audience, and build a supportive community of fellow parents. By sharing their personal stories, parenting tips, product reviews, and lifestyle advice, mommy bloggers can inspire and help others navigate the challenges of motherhood.
Moreover, mommy blogging can be a financially rewarding venture. As these blogs gain traction and attract a loyal following, there are opportunities for sponsored collaborations, brand partnerships, and affiliate marketing, enabling moms to generate income while doing what they love.
What is a mommy blog?
A mommy blog, also known as a mom blog, is a type of personal blog or online platform where mothers share their experiences, advice, and insights about parenting, family life, and related topics. Mommy bloggers typically document their journey as mothers, discussing various aspects of motherhood such as pregnancy, childbirth, child-rearing, education, health, and lifestyle.
Mommy blogs often provide a platform for mothers to connect, support each other, and exchange information. They can cover a wide range of topics, including tips for raising children, product recommendations, recipes, DIY projects, organization strategies, and personal anecdotes. Many mommy bloggers also share personal stories, struggles, and successes, aiming to create a sense of community among their readers.
These blogs can be a valuable resource for other parents seeking advice or looking for a sense of camaraderie with individuals facing similar challenges. Mommy bloggers may monetize their blogs through sponsorships, advertisements, or affiliate marketing, turning their platforms into a source of income.
How do mom bloggers earn money?
Mom bloggers can earn money through various methods. Here are 7 ways to earn money as a full-time mommy blogger:
- Advertisements: Mom bloggers can display advertisements on their blogs through ad networks like Google AdSense or by working directly with brands. They earn revenue based on the number of impressions (views) or clicks those ads receive.
- Sponsored Content: Mommy bloggers often collaborate with brands and create sponsored posts or product reviews. They receive compensation for featuring the brand’s products or services on their blog or social media channels.
- Affiliate Marketing: Mom bloggers can join affiliate programs and promote products or services through unique affiliate links. When their readers make a purchase through those links, the blogger earns a commission.
- Product Sales: Some mom bloggers create and sell their own products, such as e-books, courses, merchandise, or digital downloads. They leverage their expertise and audience to generate sales.
- Freelance Writing or Consulting: Successful mom bloggers may establish themselves as experts in their niche and offer freelance writing services or consulting to other bloggers or businesses in the parenting or family niche.
- Brand Collaborations: Mommy bloggers with a large following and engaged audience may collaborate with brands on long-term partnerships or ambassador programs. They can receive compensation or free products in exchange for promoting the brand over an extended period.
- Events and Speaking Engagements: Established mom bloggers may be invited to speak at conferences, workshops, or events related to parenting or family topics. They can earn money through speaking fees or event sponsorships.
It’s important to note that monetizing a blog takes time and effort. Mom bloggers often work on growing their audience, creating high-quality content, and building relationships with brands before they can generate substantial income.
How can moms make money from Instagram as a mom influencer?
If you already have an engaged following then why not consider becoming a mom influencer on Instagram? Moms can monetize their Instagram accounts as mom influencers in several ways. Here are some of the ways you can monetize your Instagram account as a “momfluencer”:
- Sponsored Content: Mom influencers can partner with brands and promote their products or services on their Instagram feed or through sponsored posts. They can receive payment or free products in exchange for creating content and sharing it with their followers.
- Affiliate Marketing: By joining affiliate programs, moms can promote products they love and earn a commission for each sale made through their unique affiliate links. They can share product recommendations, reviews, or tutorials with their audience, incorporating affiliate links in their posts or stories.
- Brand Collaborations: Established mom influencers may collaborate with brands on long-term partnerships or ambassador programs. They can create sponsored content, attend events, or represent the brand through their social media presence. These collaborations often involve a fee or compensation for their work.
- Digital Products: Mom influencers can create and sell digital products like e-books, online courses, or guides related to parenting, wellness, or other niche topics. They can promote these products on Instagram and direct their followers to a sales page or website.
- Sponsored Events or Speaking Engagements: Influential mom bloggers may be invited to attend events, conferences, or speaking engagements related to parenting, family, or lifestyle. They can earn money through speaking fees, event sponsorships, or ticket sales.
- Instagram Live or IGTV Partnerships: Mom influencers can partner with brands or companies to host live sessions or create long-form video content on IGTV. These partnerships can involve sponsored content, product features, or educational content related to parenting or family topics.
- Personalized Services: Moms with specific expertise or skills can offer personalized services such as coaching, consulting, or freelance writing in areas like parenting, nutrition, fitness, or lifestyle. Instagram can be used as a platform to promote and advertise these services.
Remember that in order to succeed as a momfluencer, mom influencers must maintain authenticity, engagement with their audience, and comply with advertising regulations and guidelines.
“Do I need a blog as well as an Instagram account to be a mommy influencer?”
Having both a blog and an Instagram account as a mommy influencer can offer several benefits and complement each other in different ways. Here are some advantages of having both platforms:
- Content Diversification: A blog allows you to create long-form content, in-depth articles, and tutorials, providing more detailed information and resources for your audience. Instagram, on the other hand, is great for sharing quick updates, visual content, and engaging with your followers in real-time. Having both platforms enables you to cater to different content preferences and reach a wider audience.
- SEO and Discoverability: Blogs are search engine optimized (SEO) and can attract organic traffic from search engines like Google. By creating valuable blog posts, you can rank for relevant keywords and drive new visitors to your website. Instagram, on the other hand, is more focused on social discovery, allowing you to engage with your existing audience and reach new followers through hashtags, location tags, and engagement strategies.
- Monetization Opportunities: While Instagram offers various monetization options, having a blog opens up additional avenues for generating income. Blogs can display ads, incorporate affiliate marketing, sell digital products or courses, and offer more extensive brand collaborations. A blog gives you a more comprehensive platform to showcase your expertise, create a brand identity, and generate revenue.
- Longevity and Ownership: While social media platforms like Instagram can change their algorithms or policies, having a blog provides you with more control and ownership over your content. A blog is a long-term asset that you can customize and update as needed, ensuring that your content remains accessible even if algorithms or trends change.
- Cross-Promotion and Audience Engagement: By having both a blog and an Instagram account, you can cross-promote your content. You can share snippets of your blog posts on Instagram and direct your followers to read the full article on your blog. Likewise, you can promote your Instagram account on your blog, encouraging readers to follow you for more frequent updates and behind-the-scenes content.
Ultimately, the decision to have both a blog and an Instagram account depends on your goals, available time, and resources. Assess your target audience, content preferences, and your ability to consistently create and manage content on both platforms. It’s important to choose the approach that aligns with your strengths, interests, and the needs of your audience.
What are the benefits for bloggers to become mommy bloggers after becoming a mom?
There are several benefits for bloggers to transition into mommy blogging after becoming a mom. Here are some advantages:
- Personal Experience: As a mom, you have firsthand experience and insights into the joys, challenges, and realities of motherhood. Sharing your own experiences, tips, and advice can resonate with other moms who are going through similar situations. Your personal stories can establish a strong connection and relatability with your audience, making your content more valuable and engaging.
- Niche Audience: Motherhood is a niche with a vast and dedicated audience. By becoming a mommy blogger, you can tap into this specific demographic and build a community of like-minded moms who are interested in parenting, family life, and related topics. This targeted audience can be highly engaged, loyal, and eager to seek advice and support from other moms.
- Networking and Collaboration: The mom blogging community is a vibrant and supportive network. By becoming a mommy blogger, you can connect with fellow mom bloggers, share experiences, collaborate on projects, and exchange insights. This networking can lead to new opportunities, collaborations, and growth for your blog.
- Fulfilling Purpose: Blogging as a mom allows you to combine your passions for writing, sharing knowledge, and connecting with others. It provides a creative outlet to express yourself, inspire other moms, and make a positive impact in the lives of your readers. Sharing your journey as a mom and supporting other moms can be fulfilling on a personal and emotional level.
- Monetization Opportunities: Mommy blogging can present various monetization opportunities, as mentioned earlier. By sharing your expertise, recommending products, offering services, or collaborating with brands, you can generate income from your blog. Monetization can provide financial independence, flexibility, and the potential to turn your blog into a viable business.
- Documenting Memories: Blogging as a mom allows you to document your parenting journey and create a digital scrapbook of memories. You can capture milestones, family adventures, and precious moments, preserving them for yourself and your children to look back on in the future.
These benefits make mommy blogging a rewarding and fulfilling endeavor for bloggers who have become moms. It combines their passions, personal experiences, and the opportunity to make a positive impact on other moms’ lives while potentially earning income from their blog.
“What are some of the ways I can incorporate becoming a mom into your blog content without becoming a full-time mommy blogger?”
We’ve discussed starting a motherhood blog but what about if you already have an established blog, writing about another topic? Do you have to become a mommy blogger now that you have kids? Of course not! The beauty of blogging is that you can write about whatever you want. If you run a personal blog then sharing your own views on the topics you cover helps you to standout from the crowd and can become your unique niche!
So for example, if you’re already a full-time travel blogger and have recently had children, you don’t have to start blogging about your life as a mom or your kids. In fact, if you don’t want to share this side of your life with your audience then remember that you’re not obliged to share anything that you don’t want to. You might also be wondering how your current audience will react to you starting to share your motherhood journey when they’ve been used to let’s say…your itineraries for weekend trips for couples. Even if you are just launching a blog and you’re currently pregnant or a new mom, you can still blog about what you want. Being a mom doesn’t restrict you to only blogging about mom stuff!
Don’t be afraid to share as little or as much as your pregnancy and life as a new parent with your audience. Sure, it can be scary if you’re unsure whether your audience will want to read this content. Although if you lose followers or readers because they are no longer your targeted audience, you will quickly attract new followers who are interested in the content you produce. If you’re not quite sure whether you want to commit to writing solely about mom life then why not consider incorporating certain aspects of parenthood into your content. This is a great way to balance finding your own identity as a content creator, while sharing snippets of your kids and life behind the scenes.
- Personal Updates: Include occasional personal updates about your journey into your regular blog posts. Share milestones, challenges, or insights related to motherhood within the context of your usual content. For example, if you have a travel blog, you can write about how traveling has changed after becoming a mom and share tips for traveling with a baby or young children.
- Dedicated Series or Posts: Create a series or specific blog posts that focus on motherhood-related topics. This allows you to delve into the topic of becoming a mom while keeping it separate from your main content. You can choose to write about specific aspects of parenting, share lessons you’ve learned, or provide advice and tips for new moms.
- Parenting Advice or Tips: Incorporate parenting advice or tips into relevant blog posts. If your blog is about lifestyle, wellness, or personal development, you can share insights about balancing self-care and motherhood, managing time as a mom, or maintaining a healthy lifestyle with children.
- Behind-the-Scenes Content: Give your readers a glimpse into your life as a mom through behind-the-scenes content. This can include sharing snippets of your daily routine, organization strategies, or how you integrate your personal and professional life as a mom. It adds a personal touch to your blog without making it solely about motherhood.
- Collaborative Content: Collaborate with other bloggers or experts who are focused on motherhood or parenting. You can feature guest posts or interviews that explore different perspectives on motherhood-related topics. This allows you to incorporate the mom aspect into your content while benefiting from the expertise and insights of others.
- Audience Engagement: Encourage your readers to share their own experiences and tips related to motherhood in the comments section or through social media. Engage with your audience and foster a sense of community by responding to their questions or creating discussions around parenting topics.
By incorporating these elements into your existing blog content, you can maintain the focus of your blog while still sharing and integrating your experiences as a mom. It allows you to cater to your existing audience while also attracting new readers who can relate to your insights on motherhood.
20 mom blog niche ideas that you can start today!
If you’re serious about learning how to become a full-time mommy blogger then these are some great topics to get you started. As you can see from this list of suggestions, there are many topics you can write about. You might choose to directly talk about pregnancy and raising children. On the other hand, you might choose to talk about interior design for kids’ rooms or it might just be that your ideal readers are other moms with a similar lifestyle to yours. Here are 20 blog niche ideas to get you thinking about cool content ideas for your mommy blog:
- Natural and Organic Parenting
- Breastfeeding and Lactation Support
- Eco-Friendly and Sustainable Living for Families
- Parenting Twins or Multiple Children
- Special Needs Parenting
- Homeschooling and Education
- Healthy Recipes and Meal Planning for Families
- Positive Parenting and Mindful Discipline
- Pregnancy and Prenatal Care
- Fashion and Style for Moms and Kids
- Traveling with Children
- DIY Crafts and Activities for Kids
- Parenting on a Budget
- Working Moms and Balancing Career and Family
- Adoption and Foster Parenting
- Baby Gear and Product Reviews
- Mental Health and Self-Care for Moms
- Multicultural and Interracial Parenting
- Minimalism and Decluttering for Families
- Home Organization and Storage Solutions for Busy Moms
7 top mom bloggers on Instagram
Here are a few notable mom bloggers who have gained significant attention on Instagram:
- @happilyevaafter: Eva Amurri Martino shares her journey as a mom, along with lifestyle and family content.
- @whitneymadueke: Whitney Madueke is a fashion and lifestyle blogger who also shares her experiences as a new mom.
- @sazan: Sazan Hendrix is a lifestyle influencer who often discusses motherhood and family-related topics.
- @chiaraferragni: Chiara Ferragni, although not exclusively a mom blogger, has a large following and shares her life as a mother alongside fashion and lifestyle content.
- @jessicaolie: Jessica Olie is a yoga teacher and wellness influencer who also shares her experiences as a mom.
- @whitneynrife: Whitney Rife focuses on motherhood, pregnancy, and lifestyle content.
- @latonyayvette: LaTonya Yvette is a writer and content creator who discusses motherhood, style, and identity.
These are just a few examples, and there are numerous other mom bloggers and influencers on Instagram who share their motherhood journeys and offer valuable insights and inspiration.